Different kinds of worms

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar
Sat Dec 22 11:06:48 MST 2001

En relación a Some reflections on Argentina ,
el 21 Dec 01, a las 0:48, jaquero dijo:

> The gusano, which used to be a distinctively Cuban social type, is becoming
> transformed into a Latin American-wide phenomenon. In Miami you can now find
> Venezuelan gusanos, Colombian gusanos, Ecuadorean gusanos, Mexican gusanos, and
> it will be interesting to see whether the Argentine gusanos are going to wind up
> in Miami or, following their anglofile tradition, if they wind up in Britain
> instead.

More pointedly: Paris. The old Argentinean oligarchy traded with London, but
dreamt of Paris. But this is a history long gone. Our own gusanos, now, are as
stolid and pro-Miami as gusanos anywhere.

I don't know if Jaquero will find this flattering or not, but the Cuban gusano
has become a prototype for the new ruling layers in Argentina and most of Latin
America (Chile and -so it seems- Brazil being very important exceptions). This
is the reflection, of course, of a couple of important facts;  that the Miami
gusanera has managed to establish a hub of commercial connections with the
Spanish speaking countries to the South which has turned that city from a
seaside resort into a major financial and commercial trading station, and that
the structural conditions of their existence have made our ruling classes more
pro-American than in the past. By the mid-late 1960s, Borges himself began to
visit the US more frequently than Europe. Just imagine! Of course, faithful to
himself to the last minute, he chose to be buried in a French Swiss cemetery
near Geneva.

Add ignorance to convenience (superficial and empty as it was, the old
oligarchy of the River Plate had carefully sown an European taste and a love
for culture which is completely lacking in our new "oligarchs") and you obtain
a Cavallo, whose last move was an attempt to escape the country on an official
plane directly to Miami!

Poor Sunday Horse (Domingo Cavallo) was stopped at the gates by an order issued
by Judge Far Suau ruling that he could not abandon Argentina. This sudden
"independence" of Judge Far Suau is in itself revealing of what is happening
here these days. But back to the gusanos: the new model has been set by Miami,
not by Paris.

Worms are worms wherever you stumble with (or step on) them. And all worms seem
to have welled out from Havana. As well as many of the "wormicides":

> There is one factor in Latin America which is of special importance to this
> region, although, of course, it is not without significance to the Third World
> as a whole.
>
> And that is the existence and survival of the Cuban revolution, which,
> despite all the imperialist slanders and attacks, remains a powerful example
> that is especially immediate for the toiling masses throughout the continent.

That is why Diego Maradona is one of the greatest advertisers of Fidel and Cuba
in Argentina.

[...]

> Nothing is fore-ordained, nothing is "inevitable", everything will be
> decided in the course of the actual struggle. But while the imperialist
> bourgeoisie was distracted marvelling at the murder machine they were able
> to deploy to Afghanistan, Argentina blew up, and it isn't the kind of
> problem that can be solved with stealth bombers and anglo-imperialist
> coalitions.
>
> This is the real deal -- as real as it gets.

Yes, we Argies tend to be that nasty when we revolt...

Will they send in the 82th Airborne and occupy a country the size of the USA
East from the Mississipi? Will they risk transforming Buenos Aires, a
12,000,000 people city, in a giant concentration camp, or a giant Beirut?

Something in the back of my mind tells them that _we have put them in trouble_

> Jaquero

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar