Forwarded from Anthony (Argentina)

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar
Sat Dec 22 15:55:09 MST 2001

En relación a Forwarded from Anthony (Argentina),
el 22 Dec 01, a las 11:45, Louis Proyect dijo:

> Questions to jaquero, Nestor, and other comrades in Argentina:

[...]

> My questions are, 'Is it a fact that reformism is weaker in Argentina
> now, compared to 1989?' 'Do you think that the revolutionary left is
> stronger in Argentina now than it was in 1989?' and, 'can you
> describe the left in Argentina and the role it is playing in the
> curent mobilizations?'

I will answer according to my own vision of things, according to which any
political definition in Argentina must include the "national / antinational"
rift.

Then, we have a "national revolutionary left" and an "antinational
revolutionary left", a "national reformism" and an "antinational reformism", a
"national conservatism" and an "antinational conservatism". Moreover, we also
have a "national revolutionary reformism" and an "antinational revolutionary
reformism" as well.

What I would say, and I don't know if this is an answer to Anthony's question,
is that the national camp has been suddenly strengthened. The whole society is
turning towards a confrontation with imperialism that has taken twelve years to
take place.

In this sense, "reformist" positions (understanding as such those which intend
to reach an agreement with imperialism) are tremendously weaker today than in
1989. In 1989 the enemy was in full offensive, with the actual coups d'Etat
that were the hyperinflations. People was brutally demobilised, and this
situation provided the ground for the heinous plant of defeatism to thrive.
This plant sent its branches all across the social body of Argentina, and thus
weakened all revolutionaries.

As to the "revolutionary left", well, I can't but sound a little sectarian
here. In my own view, the only "revolutionary left" in Argentina is that kind
of left which roots in the traditions set by the Argentinean working class in
1945. And if you ask me, yes, the groups in this general section of Argentinean
political mind and action are growing and getting more confident (and
stronger). A couple of years ago my group was approaching catastrophe.

Today, not only individuals have been coming to our ranks, also whole groups
which are establishing agreements of close cooperation. Many of these groups
were "reformist", apolitical, groups some years ago. Now they come to us
because we are political, _and because of our specific politics_.

As to describing the left here, it is too long. But I will tell you what did we
in the Partido de la Izquierda Nacional do. First of all, of course we were
with the people at the struggle place. I had the pleasure of moving to the
Plaza de Mayo the mobilisation that had arisen in my own neighborhood. Others
were confronting police, tear gas and all the show. All of us are safe, by the
way.  And we contacted the rebel unions to tell them two things:

(a) it is one thing to have Cavallo expelled by the IMF, and another thing to
have him expelled by people in the streets (ten days before the whole
mobilisation took place, not that we _knew_ it was to happen, but we wanted the
rebel unions to head the movement that we had begun to smell in the wind), and

(b) upon the declaration of the State of Siege the rebel unions should launch
an immediate general strike until De la Rúa resigned.

They did not heed the ideas in due time (both they followed but when it was too
late: the same thing happened in 1945, by the way, people left to the streets
before the CGT decreed the general strike of October). But some were in full
agreement with us.

Other comrades are trying to give shape to the new form of national front,
linking lower petty bourgeoisie with workers, in different places the country
over.

The future is a complete mistery.

Well, this is what I had to say. Don't know if it is useful.

> Thanks.
>
> All the best, Anthony

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar