secessionists in Brazil

Carlos Eduardo Rebello crebello at antares.com.br
Wed Dec 26 17:16:49 MST 2001

> Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 15:48:15 -0300
> From: "Gorojovsky" <Gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar>
> Subject: Secessionists in Brazil (was Re: Different kinds of worms.)

> I have never given too much credit to the semi-fascistic formations which
> preach for a secession of Southern Brazil.
> But.> In 1932, the Sao Paulo bourgeoisie led a secessionist movement with
subdued
> backing from the US. In 1964, the American Embassy is said to have had a
plan
> to split Brazil if the coup did not succeed.

Dear Nestor: The secessionists in S. Brazil were a tiny group of weirdos
(most people of German descent, if I remember well) that received some
attention of the press during the Collor years with their pipe dreams of
forming some kind of a Brazilian Slovenia which would not have to
"financially support the burden of the Northeastern States". They were
mostly a by-product of the disjected state of the Collor years, and, with
the partial economic recovery of the Cardoso years, were quickly returned to
oblivion.One must remember that the local ruling classes in Southern Brazil
are, above all, criollos of good gaucho stock who, since the Vargas Era,
have been able to accumulate economic and political capital on the basis of
participating in the federal state apparatus. The Southern secessionist,
are, until now, curiosities. But then Rosa Luxemburg said the same about
Ukrainian nationalism...

As to the 1932 São Paulo uprising, it was not secessionist; it was a
movement in which the local oligarchy appeared as upholding a liberal
bourgeois political order based on a loose federal state as against the
centralized bonapartist Vargas state apparatus then developing; something
like an inverted image of the Argentianian XIXth century, in that the
bourgeois  progressives were the authoritarian centralizers and the
federalists the oligarchical conservatives. The thesis that 1932 combined
with interimperialist opposition and that Vargas was supported by the US and
São Paulo by Great Britain was proposed by the Brazilian CP intellectuals
(first by Octavio Brandão) at the time, and is debatable; still, most
Brazilian historians deny it today.

Carlos Rebello