Yale Genocide Studies Program (Kiernan)

Legowitz at aol.com Legowitz at aol.com
Thu Dec 27 08:34:20 MST 2001

I have currently been working on a paper dealing with "The Roosevelt
administration's reaction to the Holocaust." In the past, Roosevelt has been
attacked by many historians that he did not do as much as he should have. But
that is common knowledge. I make the point that American's (In the past 50
years) cannot point at Roosevelt and yell at him for not acting. For
Roosevelt could not react just to the Holocaust, but to the American people.
His reaction had its roots in anti-Semitism, nativistic anti-immigration
sentiment and unemployment in the United States.

If you want I can email you a copy of my paper. (although I am still editing
it) I talk about the history of immigration into the United States, and the
reasons for why Roosevelt might have acted as he did.

-Adam