Forwarded from Anthony (translations)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 31 03:40:42 MST 2001

Adam [P.] recently requested that comrades who understand spanish
translate Spanish language posts into English for him.

I suggest that Adam learn Spanish, which would help him unlearn some
of his ingrained tendency towards...

Let me put this more diplomatically.

Adam, you have a responsibility to learn Spanish - Arabic, Hindi,
Urdu (or any other langauge other than English) and not to expect to
have things served up to you by other people.

As long as you have that expectation, you can not be a communist.

As for the issue of translation itself.

Translating is not so easy, only people who never tried it think it
is. It takes a lot of time and effort even to make a mediocre
translation.

Translation by committee is impossible.

However, and despite all of the above, I will commit myself to
translate any short - and very important - posts that Adam or anyone
else requests be translated. (but don't expect eloquence)

Otherwise I charge $30.00 (US) per hour for translation services.

All the best, Anthony

--

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org