[A-List] Argentine spontaneous insurrection(s)

Gorojovsky Gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar
Mon Dec 31 06:34:43 MST 2001

Sorry for cross-postings, but this which began on the A-list may be of interest
to people on other lists, and I won't be able to connect again today.

En relación a Re: [A-List] Argentine spontaneous insurrection(s,
el 31 Dec 01, a las 8:40, Chris Burford dijo:

> Are there any statements from progressive people from Argentina and
> neighbouring countries, such as Uruguay or Brazil. Or are people reaching
> for their revolvers. Because revolvers won't stop Bush. There are a lot of
> revolvers in the USA and that does not lead to revolution.

>From time to time, in their intrincate circumvolutionary evolutions, the nine
known planets of the Solar System and its host of moons find themselves
alligned along a single, straight, curve. This rare situation, much feared by
astrologists, happens once every thrillion billion centuries (at least this is
what knowledgeable people have told me).

I guess that the occasions when Chris B. and yours truly coincide are still
more elusive. So that please folks pay attention to this: we are facing one of
those improbable cases here.

But, I would add, unlike Chris B., that the whole policy of Bush is NOT to keep
quietly to the sidelines. He is pushing Argentineans to chaos and civil war,
which he prefers to a national-minded government such as that of Rodríguez Saá.
This is for sure.

As to R. Saá resignation, I think that it was a good piece of political action.
Rodríguez Saá resigned but by pointing out the originators of his decission. He
mentioned Governor De la Sota -the most conspicuous representative of the
American Embassy within Peronism- by his name as "putting the petty interest of
the party above the highest interest of the homeland", he also mentioned the
"lobbys o lobos" (that is, lobbies or wolves) which could be readily identified
as the financial establishment, and explained in simple words that he was not
to be a "provisional president" who "would attack his own people on the
interest of the privileged minorities".

It was a very interesting piece, which may help to build up something new. We
shall see. For the time being, there is no President in Argentina. And the
sense of the change that has taken place can be summed up in a short anecdote.

There were very little people in May Square yesterday night, some 100/200
neighbors of the poor quarters that lie to the South of the Square.  They were
demonstrating against R. Saá's resignation. A platoon of riot police showed in,
and the Comisario (Officer) told the demonstrators that they should quit. "But
we are not doing anything wrong", they said, "we are simply exerting our
democratic rights". "Democracy? What do you mean", replied the Comisario, "we
don't even have a President now. So that go away, and for good".

This is what Rodríguez Saá meant for people here. May Argentineans be smart
enough to rally around him for the next elections.

Ah, yes, of course: he is a bourgeois.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar

Compañeros del exercito de los Andes.

...La guerra se la tenemos de hacer del modo que podamos:
sino tenemos dinero, carne y un pedazo de tabaco no nos
tiene de faltar: cuando se acaben los vestuarios, nos
vestiremos con la bayetilla que nos trabajen nuestras mugeres,
y sino andaremos en pelota como nuestros paisanos los indios:
seamos libres, y lo demás no importa nada...

Jose de San Martín, 27 de julio de 1819.