Iraqi Foes To Get Aid From U.S. (was:Re: Kosova Albanians (Re: Saddam, Kurdistan and Kosovo (Re: Questions for Xxxx (was: When to support nationalism?)))

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Fri Feb 2 17:19:22 MST 2001

There is no substantial shift in US policy towards Saddam. The article says that
the "Bush administration has given Iraqi opposition groups permission to resume
their activities *inside* Iraq with *American funding*, marking the first
substantial move by the Bush White House to confront Iraqi President Saddam
Hussein". It further says that Bush's decision has allowed the Iraqi National
Congress (an umberralla organization formed by opposition groups to Saddam, some
of  which are dominated by Kurdish factions, btw) to receive US funding to
collect information relating to Iraqi regime. This financial support to be spent
inside Iraq may a be shift from Clinton's foreign policy, but the purpose is
essentially the same: To use the opposition to confront, piss off, weaken, and
eventually overthrow Saddam.

I frankly don't think that the Clinton administration wanted to keep Saddam in
power as opposed to republicans who might be more willing to engage with the
opposition as as it relates to Saddam. Clinton had to problem with INC either
and allowed it to continue to function. The overall US policy is the issue here,
not the liberal/ republican divide.

Xxxx

--
Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx