Orange Order Gaelicists

Sun Feb 4 03:41:56 MST 2001

I once attended a lecture by the then director Gael Linn back the 1962 or
thereabouts about the connection of the protestant religions with
Irish.  Once upon a time there were many such connexions.  Casement's great
friend whose name to my shame escapes me ( Alice Millington?) is  buried in
my home town and her tombstone is in Gaelic. It says "Ni rabh aon gradh ach
Eireann".  (She had only one love and that was Ireland). Apparently it was
vandalised recently.  Douglas Hyde another noted Irish Scholar was
Protestant too I think.  And of course the ancient harper music of Ireland
was rescued from oblivion by scholars of the Presybeterian Enlightenment.

Life is indeed more complicated!

regards

Gary