East Timor

Mon Feb 5 18:20:12 MST 2001

GLW article states:

>Commenting on Horta's proposal that the US improve military ties with the
>Indonesian military, the British-based solidarity and human rights group,
>TAPOL, summed up the feeling of many solidarity groups and activists
>world-wide:"If this is a correct report of what Jose Ramos-Horta said, it
>represents an extraordinary and highly damaging reversal of CNRT [National
>Council of Timorese Resistance] policy on military aid to Indonesia ... We
>all need to re-double our efforts to ensure that the new US administration
>does not decide to resume military aid to Jakarta".

Clearly, GLW is not impressed by Horta either.

By why the surprise or outrage?

This is the perfectly logical consequence of the path followed by Fretilin
in recent years.

All of it, including the UN intervention, is part of a pattern.

A neo-colonial settlement has been stitched up, imperialism has emerged
unscathed.  Much of the old left-oriented solidarity movement has gone
along with most of this, including the indispensable UN troop intervention,
and been politically disarmed.

The problem is that, by the time these people finally wake up, the
stitching will be complete and it will be far too late to pull it apart.

Philip Ferguson

"Don't Dream It - Extreme It" (Lana Coc Kroft)
http://www.revolution.org.nz