Differences in ELN and FARC- a disadvantage?

soil_ride soilride at SPAMemail.msn.com
Wed Feb 7 21:25:23 MST 2001

As far as I know, from what I have read, especially Louis Proyect's
excellent articles and other posts and comments on the marxmail.org site by
other comrades(I will cite the urls below)

The National Liberation Army(ELN) was A Castro-Guevarist inspired
revolutionary movement.  Where revolutionaries were influenced and inspired
very much by the Cuban Revolution, Fidel Castro, Che Guevara.

The students of 1960's Bogota inspired by Che guevara and the Cuban
Revolution, disenchanted with the Colombia's National Front Program(A
program to unite Conservatives and Liberals-after La Violencia rocked and
plummetted Colombia in economic and political despair) founded the MOEC
Movement(Movimiento de Obreros, Estudiantes y Campesinos- Workers',
Students', and Peasants' Movement), wishing to implement a Cuban Revolution
in Colombia...

 MOEC although suffered defeats to build a revolutionary foco, formed the
root base for the National Liberation Army-Ejercitos de Liberacion National,
one of the oldest existing revolutionary guerrillas today.

The situation-especially the political tides that kept crashing and
colliding in Colombia at that time, made grounds for an unstable political
and economic atmosphere. The Colombian Communist Party wanted more control
of the guerrillas that were operating.  As I understand it, the Colombian
Communist Party was more apt to follow the Marxist-Leninist Moscow-inspired
revolution.  My knowledge about Colombian Communist Party is limited...so
please correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

In 1966, the Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC-Revolutionary
Armed Forces of Colombia)was established by leaders of the Guerrilla Bloc,
most of which were leaders that attended the First Southern Guerrilla
Conference in 1964 lead by the Colombian Communist Party.  Apparently, there
have had been controversey on who actually controlled the guerrillas and who
controlled the PCC.

There have also been other revolutionary movements and guerrillas that have
risen, most of them have fallen to the wayside and rejoined the country's
uncertain political catastrophe.

As far as I know, and what I have been told, FARC and ELN have recognized
each other, and have also collobarated in their missions and strategies from
time to time.  But whatever the ideological and historic differences,
there's a rift between them, that I can't avoid noticing.  It seems to me,
that they are both content in fighting the revolution they way they want to
fight it.

But is it strategically acceptable? I am just afraid that because of this
separateness, this rift, will only become an obstacle, in which, I fear,
that the revolutionary struggle of both these groups perhaps might unspiral
and eat itself. But those are only my fears....

Here are those links:
http://www.panix.com/~lnp3//mydocs/July99/revolution_in_colombia_part_one.ht
http://www.panix.com/~lnp3//mydocs/July99/revolution_in_colombia.htm
http://www.panix.com/~lnp3//mydocs/August99/Revolution_in_Colombia_part3.htm

There are other articles that are also of great interests on the
marxmail.org site.  My questions still remain the same.