Nietzche and Christianity

Sun Feb 11 16:28:49 MST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: John Henry <johnh at changeover.com>
To: <marxism at lists.panix.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: Nietzche and Christianity

> A couple of thoughts on the Nietzche thread:
>
> 1) Nietzche was an atheist yet his most famous quote is "God is dead". For
> God to be dead, wouldn't S/He have had to be alive some point? If so, and
> Nietzche believes in His (or Her) death, would that not be incompatible
> with atheism?
>
> I suppose that one could define atheism as meaning that there is
> *currently* no God but my understanding of atheism has always been a total
> denial of God's existence.

NIETZSCHE KILLED THE IMAGINARY GOD. ATHISTS SHOULD ACTUALLY BE CALLED
ANTI-THEISTS, SINCE ONE ONLY NEEDS TO SAY THAT GOD DOES NOT EXIST IF SOME
PEOPLE BELIEVE THAT IT DOES. g.s.

> 2) The quote that started the thread was something about Christianity
being
> a fine religion for slaves. While I suppose one could argue that this is
> true, the fact is that the vast majority of Christians, historically and
> today have not been slaves. Christianity has true believers across all
> class lines.
>
> 3) Christianity, as a religion, did very little to stop slavery. At least
> until the 19th century when English Christians (specifically Quakers)
> embarked on a crusade which took slavery from being a rather unremarkable
> commonplace in most of the world to being generally viewed as vile and
> virtually ending it worldwide. Their story is really pretty remarkable in
> eradicating something that had been culturally ingrained in virtually all
> societies since time immemorial
>
> 3) Christianity is not the only religion which turned a blind eye to
> slavery. Judaism supported it (see the Old Testament). Islamic traders
> invented the African slave trade 500 before the first European came to
> Africa and probably exported 30 million African slaves to the east over
the
> 1000 years ending in 1900.THIS SENTENCE IS NOT VERY CLEAR. IT SEEMS TO LET
THE EUROPIANS OFF THE HOOK AND BLAME THE ARAB SLAVE TRADERS FOR THE WHOLE
ROOTEN MESS. GS. (Another 30 million never lived long enough to
> be exported) This is in addition to the 9mm or so exported to South
America
> and 1mm to North America.
>
> Buhdism, Confucianism, etc. Virtually all religions have either turned a
> blind eye or affirmatively approved of slavery in the past.
>
> This is certainly not an attempt to justify slavery or religion's attitude
NIETZSCHE WAS NOT A VERY GOOD HISTORIAN. G.S.
> to it. Freedom must always be our ultimate political goal and slavery is
> freedom's antithesis. I simply wanted to shed a little light here.
>

> Best,
>
> John R Henry CPP

IN BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL, NIETZSCHE REMARKS THAT HE CAN NOT IMAGINE A SOCIETY
WITH OUT SLAVES. HOWEVER, I DO NOT THINK HE WAS REFERING TO MODERN SLAVERY.

gEORGE