The Cold War and the avant-garde

Wed Feb 14 11:53:08 MST 2001

>>> lnp3 at panix.com 02/14/01 01:06PM >>>
NY Times, February 14, 2001

ARTS IN AMERICA: 'Avant-Garde' Artists Come in From the Cold (War)

By STEPHEN KINZER

WELLESLEY, Mass. — Although the 1950's are often described as somnolent
years in the United States, they were also a time of artistic ferment, when
dissonant music and abstract painting burst into the public consciousness.

But in recent years some scholars and curators have come to believe that
this ferment was not really so radical, and that although these artists
considered themselves consummate outsiders, their work often served to
promote rather than subvert mainstream values.

CB: I'll add this to my file on the role of art in serving the rightwing.