Napster

Austin, Andrew austina at SPAMuwgb.edu
Thu Feb 15 08:54:21 MST 2001

Maryann,

Only a handful of musicians make money in the business, and this is almost
always after a long period of time. Even after a band is signed, they rarely
"make it." Record companies make a great deal of money off their best
selling artists. But they also play the field by signing several artists,
pay them nothing (what's known as a "development deal"), provide no support
(which almost always dooms them to failure), and tell the bands to promote
themselves. This is the usual character of the record business. What they
want to see are bands who will make all the effort and make money for the
company - virtually risk free. This is business efficiency in the record
industry. For every successful band that the company gets behind (almost
always an already well-established artist - a low risk investment), there
are dozens on the label's roster who get almost nothing - typically, no
money, no support, no access. On top of this these artists get exploited by
their managers, who, if they can land them a development deal, are probably
already hooked into the record label clique (at this level it is a scheme to
lace the palms of con artists). One thing managers do is to dangle a
contract in front of a band but tell them they first have to undergo
polishing at the hands of an "industry professional" (usually a low-level
has-been or clever never-has-been), which the band will have to pay for
(never do this!). Blood in the water draws in the sharks. Add to this the
hours of practice and sacrifice, plus renting rehearsal space, buying
equipment, making demos (good demos are very expensive), going from club to
club and then from showcase to showcase to "get seen." The real tragedy is
that some of the best artists I have ever heard and seen you will never hear
or see.

One does not need to be a musician to understand the problems with the
statements made below (although it certainly gives one insight into these
matters!), but one does need to understand the business. One also needs to
understand the principle of exploitation under capitalism and apply it. With
all due respect, I think neither understanding is expressed in your
comments.

Andrew Austin
Green Bay, WI