The Relevance of the Western Left

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at SPAMoregon.uoregon.edu
Thu Feb 15 19:37:10 MST 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Henry C.K. Liu wrote:

> I have not read the book (I assume you are referring to Mao's doctor?), but

Nope, that was "Private Life of Chairman Mao", which seemed half-truthful
but also very stage-managed. "Man Not God" is an account by one of his
former bodyguards, who Mao met during the revolutionary war. Interesting
and psychologically insightful. Printed in 1992 in Beijing, so you know it
got official clearance.

I can't remember who said this, but some Party official quoted by Philip
Short said something like, "The ultimate judgement of history on Mao is
this: if he had died in 1956, his fame would be immortal. If he had died
in 1966, he still would've been remembered as one of the greatest figures
of the century. But alas, he died in 1976. What else can one say?"

-- Dennis