at last!

Martin Zehr m_zehr at SPAMhotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 07:47:24 MST 2001

Excuse me if I join this little fracas. But I find it curious that MaryAnn
can indulge in so many crocodile tears for unfortunate artists like
Metallica who scream "Robbery!" when they can't increase their portion of
the millions of dollars being made. I think that these characters have
successfully found a way to block access to the broad sections of the
American and international public to a broader range of musical and artistic
performances. The market in music is dominated today as never before and
promises to increase. Artists have strictly defined avenues for making an
impact on the market. Major corporations control the access to and the
creation of music and art. Such control threatens to bleed the cultural
lifeblood of the world. If we focus on one aspect of this issue, let's make
it on how this decision further restricts the development of creativity and
the accessability to new talent by the general public. Let's further state
that by redefining Napster in the way it has, the corporate heads have
redefined the Internet and its potential for democratization of the world's
cultural and political institutions. Let's further look at it in the context
of the political attacks on artists and the National Endowment. Let's stop
giving up the fight before we even start it. They've got their interests and
we've got our. Let's not confuse the two!