history and class consciousness

Sat Feb 17 16:40:22 MST 2001

Nester,

thanks for the quotation from Lukacs. he was trying to reformulate Weber's
theory of Western rationality within Marxism. he was a better Marxist than
Horkheimer and Adorno.

I don't quite see how what Lukacs says applies to DU. DU, it seems to me, is
both rational and irrational. it is rational in the sense of expressing
calculation and efficiency. it is irrational in the sense of valuing human
life. I don't see how Lukacs addresses this point. wasn't he talking about
the labor process under capitalism? I would like to hear your thoughts on
this.