Ideals

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at SPAMoregon.uoregon.edu
Sat Feb 17 18:25:00 MST 2001

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Henry C.K. Liu wrote:

> Article 35. Citizens of the People's Republic of China enjoy freedom of
> speech, of the press, of assembly, of association, of procession and of
> demonstration.

To paraphrase Brecht, woe to the nation-state which needs a heroic
one-party state. On the other hand, it's true that the Party is the only
thing keeping the neoliberal wolves from devouring China wholesale.  China
is developing a rather feisty developmental state, which seems to be
quickly learning everything Japan has claimed to have forgotten about how
to rig markets to improve the lives of ordinary citizens (you can't turn
sideways in Shanghai without bumping into a chip fab these days). It
wouldn't surprise me if the developmental state turns out to be China's
next successful global export, the logical follow-up to guerilla
revolution and the Hong Kong blockbuster.

-- Dennis