Fibonacci series -- and Culture

Tue Feb 20 09:35:08 MST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us>
To: <marxism at lists.panix.com>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: Fibonacci series -- and Culture

> It is a fact of history that at various times some cultures are more
> technologically, scientifically, and socially advanced than others. And if
we
> are going to talk about the "rationality" of cultures at all, it would
seem
> quite reasonable to say that some cultures are therefore more rational
than
> others. Doing so should only mean that the prevailing world views,
> understanding of the world, and such, which typify a culture, are more
> rational than those which typify another culture.
>
> ))))))))))))))
>
> CB: Nuclear weapons are "more" technologically and scientifically
"advanced", but are they more rational ?
GS:
"as I tried to suggest earlier, "rational" is a trickey word. clearly in one
sense, they are more rational, in their efficiency. they kill more people.
however, in a second meaning of "rational," one that implies human
betterment, they are clearly not more rational. oh yes, "advanced" is also
not the cleareist of terms. in one sense, they are clearly an advance over
earilier weapons. you know: they kill more people. my point here? it is hard
to get away from our moral concerns. why try?

CB: I'm not trying to get away from moral concerns. I am for defining "rational" in
terms of species-being.