Forwarded from Barkley Rosser (antisemitism of Keynes, Schumpeter, Hayek)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Tue Feb 20 13:10:28 MST 2001

The Winter 2001 issue of the History of Political Economy (HOPE), volume
32, no. 4, pp. 833-856, has an article by Melvin W. Reder: "The
Anti-Semitism of Some Eminent Economists". He alleges anti-Semitism on the
parts of Keynes, Schumpeter, and Hayek. He also claims that there was a
decline in anti-Semitism after 1950. His claims have triggered a major
protest on the Hayek list where it is argued that Reder's argument is based
on flimsy arguments and that Hayek never exhibited any anti-Semitism. I
think these protests have merit. However, there has been a censoring of any
discussion on that list of any aspects of this article other than to allow
members of the list to denounce Reder's remarks regarding Hayek. I think
that many on these lists might find the issues raised in this article of
interest, even if ultimately the article is to be dismissed as totally
misguided hogwash. I would not be raising this if I did not think that at
least some of its arguments are not totally unreasonable.

Barkley Rosser

Louis Proyect