Marx and Engels (to Jay Moore)

Sun Feb 25 15:11:53 MST 2001

In the Digest #3249, Jay lists a bibliography on the Marx-Engels
relationship, including quite a lot of stuff critical of Engels.  In the
1970s there was quite a trend in certain European Marxist/left circles to
knock Engels, and a defence of Engels was made by George Novack.  Although
I don't have much time for Novack, mainly for other political reasons, I
think it might be useful to add his defence of Engels to such a list.

I think it was originally published in Intercontinental Press, and maybe
turned up later in a Novack collection.  I'm sorry I can't be more
specific, but perhaps Louis can recall it, or else someone like Richard
Fidler or Jose G. Perez would know it.

Cheers,
Philip Ferguson