Novack on Engels

Richard Fidler rfidler at SPAMcyberus.ca
Sun Feb 25 19:45:00 MST 2001

>>In the Digest #3249, Jay lists a bibliography on the Marx-Engels relationship,
including quite a lot of stuff critical of Engels. In the 1970s there was quite
a trend in certain European Marxist/left circles to knock Engels, and a defence
of Engels was made by George Novack. Although I don't have much time for Novack,
mainly for other political reasons, I think it might be useful to add his
defence of Engels to such a list.

I think it was originally published in Intercontinental Press, and maybe turned
up later in a Novack collection. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but perhaps
Louis can recall it, or else someone like Richard Fidler or Jose G. Perez would
know it.

Cheers, Philip Ferguson<<

Phil is thinking of "In Defense of Engels", which was published, inter alia, in
George Novack, _Polemics in Marxist Philosophy_ (New York: Monad
Press/Pathfinder, 1978).

Richard Fidler
rfidler at cyberus.ca