FW: Protest for Camille Martinez

Craven, Jim jcraven at SPAMclark.edu
Mon Feb 26 12:30:32 MST 2001

We are dealing with a number of cases of Indian children taken from their
mothers, with the mothers set up to appear crazy and unift, then Catholic
Child Services, CASA, the YWCA and Child Protective Servces has one year to
either reunite the child with the biological (Indian) mother or, more
likely, adopt the child out to a non-Indian family (They get $6,000 for each
child adopted out, the adopting family gets $8,000 plus $547 per month and
Child Protective Services gets 3 dollars back from the Feds for every dollar
paid out to the adopting family; they have a direct and real incentive not
to reunite Indian children with their biological mothers.

In the case of Cindy Martinez, she is Shasta/Modoc but since Shasta were
decertified by BIA as a "viable Tribe", Cindy is seen as "non-Indian" and
therefore not subject to any protections of ICWA (Indian Child Welfare Act)
although CASA, in a phone call to me, attempting to initimidate me from
pursuing Cindy's case, referred to Cindy and her child Camille as "The
Indian mother and her child".

Camille, since in the custody of Clkark County CPS, has been documented to
have vaginal tearing and bite marks on her back, The CPS caseworker said to
me that it "must be something else than sexual abuse"; when asked what
"else" could it be, he had no answer.

This is an old, old story; it happened to my mother via the Mormons who are
very active in snatching and programming Indian children.

Jim Craven