Value Theorists at War

ScottH9999 at SPAMaol.com ScottH9999 at SPAMaol.com
Tue Feb 27 12:41:53 MST 2001

Louis, and everyone--

I am aware of the "transformation problem", and I SUSPECT too that (in the
words of a couple others who responded) it is ultimately a "non-issue", and
in part for the reasons you suggest below. However, what I am trying to bring
up is the more general issue of how we Marxists should respond to criticisms
of Marxism, or to problems people raise with Marxist theory, and the like.

In general I don't think we should respond by simply dismissing the
criticisms and problems, or with put-downs and snide derision. I'm not saying
that this sort of response is NEVER appropriate! I generally respond this way
myself when people talk sympathetically about astrology, say. But even in
these cases, I always feel later like I screwed up in doing so--since people
are seldom helped to correct their mistakes and erroneous outlooks this way.
Put-downs and derision are enjoyed by those who already agree with us, but no
one's understanding is improved--not even that of our sympathizers, and not
even our own!. In fact, responding this way usually represents a missed
opportunity for further enlightenment all around.

There are in fact a number of serious theoretical issues still outstanding in
relation to the labor theory of value. The transformation problem is one of
them, in my opinion. The reason I say this is that I personally have not yet
seen a careful, thorough, rational explanation for precisely WHY it is a
"non-issue". Just saying, over and over (as some people in this group seem
inclined to do) that it is a non-issue, without carefully and convincingly
saying WHY this is true, makes me suspect just the opposite--that it may be
more of an issue than people are presently prepared to deal with! Even your
comments below, while useful, hardly seem to settle the matter to my mind.

In general, I think we should take proposed difficulties with Marxist theory
quite seriously. I think we should study such suggested difficulties and
respond carefully to them, in order to: 1) correct and further develop
Marxism, where appropriate, 2) improve our own understanding of the theory,
3) combat unjustified attacks against Marxism by its opponents, and 4)
correct the mistaken notions of others who might possibly be won over to the
side of the people.

If the answer to a "problem" has already been worked out, we should give it
and/or refer people to documents which go into the matter in detail. If the
answer has not yet been worked out satisfactorily, then it remains an
important item for Marxist theorists to work on.

--Scott Harrison