Forwarded from Nestor (adoption)

Gorojovsky Gorojovsky at SPAMarnet.com.ar
Wed Feb 28 15:44:29 MST 2001

En relación a Re: Forwarded from Nestor (adoption),
el 28 Feb 01, a las 2:05, soil_ride dijo:

> Nestor typed:
> "...officials who trade Correntino babies (many of them are blue-eyed) in
> the world market and *provide the false credentials* for this to be done..."
> (*asterisks mine)
>
> Nestor's commentary is intrigueing.
>
> The closed door policies that adoption agencies still adhere to, is their
> most powerful cover to dissuade any organization and/or agency from any
> suspicious activity.
>
> Fanon in Black Skin,White Masks discusses the imperialism of the colonists
> in their racist attidudes towards the native. The Negroes of the Antilles
> with comparison to the African sees oneself as superior to that of the
> African.  Precisely because the Negro of the Antilles, colonized by the
> European on land and in mindset, are "more human".  The greatest weapon
> against the native is the native themselves.  I see no contradiction between
> culture imperialism and the process of adoption.  Fanon in BSWM has held my
> interest for quite some time now concerning racial identity and history.  I am
> able to relate to his texts and essays in many ways.
>
> Despite my own situation, I am forced by my own convictions to explore the
> culture imperialism of the whole, not just children, not just adoption.
> Adoption are independent systems that embodies all of the capitalist system,
> whether funded privately or through government regulations under various
> Departments or Ministries of Health and Welfare...
>
> The experience of "cultural imperialism" seems to be not just limited to
> small children placed in foster homes or internationally DISplaced in
> families abroad, but the very location in which the children are finally
> "given up" "traded", stolen....
>
> The Other in this case, that would fit precisely to what Fanon refers to,
> is the mothers who gave birth to these children, already victims of the
> class antagonisms in their own countries, but subjected to the Liberal
> Welfare Family Regulations, promising to give "a better life" for the child or
> children, exactly because of the conditions the mothers(and fathers) are living
> in.
>
> I refer more to mothers, because this is my first introduction(may I say, my
> first "lesson") to the exploitation of women of color in capitalist
> imperialistic societies abroad and within. A journey into feminist thought.
> "Algeria Unveiled" comes to mind when talking of women, class, and imperialism.
>
> The following excerpt was enlightening to read, discussing the cultural
> imperialism that women(fathers and children too) experience.
>
> "For birth mothers, this cultural imperialism imposes a dual identity upon
> them. One identity, that of birth mother, must be hidden, so that she will
> not be identified as a member of a deviant and degenerate group of women.
> The other self is a false public identity because the woman is forced to
> become an imposter; she is a mother but she cannot admit the fact to anyone even
> [...]

Judging from the lines that follow the above, what most probably has happened
is that my English was not good. I simply wanted to mean that there are
networks of Argentinean officials who forge documentation to sell children
abroad. That was all.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar