Nietzsche & Christianity (was Re: religion and marxism?)

Mon Jan 1 15:16:31 MST 2001

Mervyn Hartwig wrote:

>George:
>
>You have said both that Nietzsche was incorrect ('missed the target') to
>have
>
>>thought that the problem was that Christians were defined by "sympathy."
>
>and yet that
>
>>>Nietzsche was correct about Christianity being a denial of life.
>
>Which is it? You can't have it both ways - When Nietzsche says that
>Christianity is defined by 'sympathy' he means precisely that it is 'a
>denial of life' - it is the morality of slaves and the weak.

While Marxists reject Nietzsche's understanding of Christianity, we
have no reason to champion "the morality of the weak."  As Adorno
said, "In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing
other than glorification of the splendid system that makes them so"
(_Minima Moralia_, trans. E. F. N. Jephcott, London: Verso, 1974