Descartes Redux (was Re: Spiritualism and idealism)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Mon Jan 1 23:08:38 MST 2001

Yoshie:
>What you write in the second paragraph, however, seems to me to be an
>idealist definition of "spiritual"....To think that one can name
>one's feelings "spiritual" & at the same time imagine that such
>"spiritual" feelings are "private" is to fall for a Cartesian
>philosophy:

I am afraid that you are over-intellectualizing things. When I say that
spiritual feelings are private, I don't mean this in the epistemological
sense. I mean it in the sense of personal. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Louis Proyect