Canadian Indian women "are tired of what's happening"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Wed Jan 3 07:23:51 MST 2001

Alan Maki:
>The organization referred to does raise some- not many
>but some, arguments that have merit, however, the main
>purpose of this organization referred to is to divide
>the Native peoples of Canada and weaken their
>struggle. Many of the chiefs being attacked by this
>organization are mobilizing their communities in a way
>very similar to the civil rights movement in the USA.

Alan, what in god's name are you talking about? Jim Craven, a Blackfoot
economics professor who is currently organizing a tribunal in Alberta and
who is subbed to this list, has been telling me for some 3 years now about
the same problems that affect his nation. It is the same neocolonial
behavior that one found in Wounded Knee. Traditional chiefs use BIA
connections to overpower dissent. Taking advantage of federal funds, they
take expensive junkets all around the world while those at the grass roots
suffer. Drug dealing, prostitution, police malfeasance, thuggery against
opponents, etc. characterize the Blackfoot tribal chiefs, according to Jim,
and now we have discovered that an investigation against the Browning
reservation police has been launched.

Louis Proyect