Forwarded from Siddhartha Chatterjee

Wed Jan 3 14:15:55 MST 2001

Jurriaan Bendien <j.bendien at wolmail.nl> writes

>Science is a perpetual, neverending contest between
>rival theories and the data. It is almost never absolutely "foolproof
>certain" that any particular theory has definitely won.

What is 'foolproof certain', though, to many on this list (and from
scientific point of view!) is ontological materialism and atheism.

CB: To many on the list, atheism and probably ontological materialism is an a
posteriori presumption, which we place the burden on believers to rebut, but we don't
say it is not rebuttable , so it is not "foolproof certain".