Canadian Indian women "are tired of what's happening"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Wed Jan 3 20:23:14 MST 2001

Alan Maki:
>I suggest to you Mr. Proyect, that it is people like
>you who want to make an issue over how much union
>staff get paid, etc. The issue isn't how much the
>chiefs get paid, its what they do. And I would be
>willing to wager that the overwhelming majority of
>chiefs in Canada work very hard in the face of great
>adversity and most have nothing to do with what you
>call corruption. Show me the facts to back up your
>blanket statements.

I have a feeling that I am dealing with cognitive dissonance here. You urge
people to contact Clinton on behalf of Leonard Peltier but you don't seem
to accept the notion that his struggle was against corrupt tribal chiefs,
who enjoy the same kind of privileges that their Canadian counterparts
enjoy and who maintain those privileges through intimidation, stolen
elections, nepotism, etc. Since you didn't want to accept the word of
Canadian Indian women who might be part of some kind of rightwing cabal,
why not consider a recent battle in Micmac territory that had the same
dynamic as Wounded Knee:

The Ottawa Citizen, August 17, 1998, Monday, FINAL EDITION

Micmac protesters braced for showdown: 'Hell will break loose' if anyone
hurt: 'chief'

By ALEXANDER NORRIS; MONTREAL GAZETTE

RESTIGOUCHE, Que.

Micmac protest leaders issued a blunt warning to provincial and aboriginal
police yesterday as Premier Lucien Bouchard's deadline today for
dismantling highway protest barricades looms.

"We're not going to be the first ones to fire a shot," said Frank Thomas, a
Micmac from Shubenacadie, near Truro, N.S., active in similar protests over
logging rights by Micmacs this year in neighbouring New Brunswick.

"But if they're going to shoot at our people, we are not going to stand
back and throw rocks at them," added Mr. Thomas, who describes himself as
war chief of the Micmac Warrior Society. "We don't want a confrontation but
if they push us into it, we have no choice.

"If just one of our people gets hurt, hell's going to break loose."

A deal for expanded aboriginal logging rights in the region, reached last
week between Quebec Indian Affairs Minister Guy Chevrette and elected
Listuguj chief Ronald Jacques, is to be put to a vote today by Mr.
Jacques's band council.

If, as expected, the agreement is ratified, Chevrette aide Shirley Bishop
said the province wants the four opposition councillors who oppose it "to
rally to (the decision of) their elected body."

That would weaken support for demonstrators within the 2,000-member
community. However, the four showed no sign last night of dropping their
support for barricade protest leader Gary Metallic, himself a former band
councillor, who has dismissed Mr. Chevrette's deal as inadequate. And Mr.
Metallic sounded in no mood to dismantle the blockades.

"We're not budging," he said, until the province tables an improved offer.

At a meeting last night attended by about 100 supporters outside two
teepees near one of the barricades, Mr. Metallic told reporters the
blockades would come down if Mr. Jacques agrees today to put the deal with
the province to reserve residents in a referendum -- something he has
refused.

Reached last night at his home, Mr. Jacques declined comment on the
proposal. The chief, who Mr. Metallic's supporters accuse of corruption and
cronyism, has kept a low profile since reports detailed his criminal record
for fraud and a sexual-assault charge.

Louis Proyect