A few Native thoughts on current controversies

Hunter Gray HUNTERBEAR at SPAMprodigy.net
Thu Jan 4 06:58:20 MST 2001

Comrades:

I saw the rapidly growing spot fires on Canadian Native issues in my
favourite discussion arena about 4:30 am Mountain Time.  Gives you more of a
jolt than my strong black coffee!

Just a couple of comments:

Aware, as I'm sure we all are of the difficulties involved in broad
generalization where a multitude of Native nations and organizations and
individuals and families are involved -- to say nothing of varying degrees
of "traditionalism" and "acculturation" and an almost infinite number of
contextual variables -- my own empathy and loyalty ["speaking only for
myself"] lie strongly on the side of  the grassroots traditionals.  They do
not lie with band and tribal councils  in Canada and the United States --
historically compromised [and more recently even  more so] by predatory and
alien interests.  The consistent common denominator of both Canadian and
United States Native [Indian] policy has been to eliminate Native people,
destroy Canadian and United States treaty obligations to the tribal nations,
and secure remaining Native land and resources.

And, while we're on this critical topic, let us be vigorously aware of the
plight of the Metis peoples --consistently  subjected to and stoutly
resisting -- every kind of hostile would-be dispossessive force.

The NDP's  general loss of "Redness" makes it about as impressive as the
Democratic Party  here in the States.

I very much appreciate the comments by Mr Jim Craven and Mr Roland
Littlejohn.  I certainly appreciate Louis Proyect's supportive role
vis-a-vis Native rights and substantive social justice generally.  His
heart, mind, courage and commitment are solidly positive.  Mr Maki's passion
for justice is commendably striking but,  "in Indian politics, if you think
you know everything, take a deep breath and a deeper look."

A final comment and back to black coffee.  At the risk of a bit of
generalization,  Euro-North American terms like "radical" and "reactionary"
really don't fit Native socio-cultural geography ["militant" certainly can
fit.]  Geronimo --  only one of a multitude of historical and contemporary
Native patriots but whose name and general career would be known to a
majority of our discussion list -- was certainly the epitome of unyielding
traditionalism [but he did have a profound affection for his Winchester!]
Only the forces of government and Christianity would call him "reactionary."

Hunter Gray (Hunterbear)

Hunter Gray
www.hunterbear.org