Bidding Farewell (was Re: Leona Freed's Recommendations...)

Fri Jan 5 19:33:27 MST 2001

[ bounced from unsubbed Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> ]

Lou & the list:

>Yoshie:
>  >You mean George Speight of the Fiji Coup in 2000.  If anything,
>>however, the direction Freed's proposal suggests is the opposite of
>>Speight's coup.  In any case, it seems to me that neither could solve
>>the problems that beset indigenous peoples in Canada and Fiji
>>respectively.
>
>Right, Speight.
>
>>reservations than in capitalist governments in general).  The
>>question is how to fight corruption without getting exploited by
>>those who, like the Canadian Reform Party, spout the anti-corruption
>>rhetoric in the interest of eliminating government deficits, social
>>programs, transfer payments, self-government, etc.
>
>Actually, that is not the question for a graduate student in Columbus,
>Ohio. You are suffering from what is called the "Coyoacan Complex". What's
>odd is that you've come down with it long after the germ carriers have gone
>elsewhere.
>
>>Surely "Indian
>>people will find solutions to their own problems," as will Serbs,
>>Albanians, Indonesians, East Timorese, etc.  That doesn't mean,
>>though, that the rest of us should cease efforts to figure out what's
>>going on as well as possible in the meantime.
>
>You are not trying to figure things out. You are trying to establish your
>revolutionary credentials against the reformist swamp. Myself, I like the
>swamp. All sorts of neat, green, living, creepy-crawly things can be found
>there.

Well, I posted some information on the topic under discussion & asked
questions.  Then, the moderator inexplicably accuses me of "trying to
establish revolutionary credentials against the reformist swamp."
What am I supposed to say in reply?  I guess it's time for me to take
a hint & unsubscribe.

Thanks to all who have educated me one way or another since the
beginning of this list.

Farewell!

Yoshie