what is going on?

Fri Jan 5 22:38:17 MST 2001

in Being and Nothingness, Sartre defines seriousness as a form of bad faith.
it is a kind of denial.

it is clear from reading posts on this list that something more than
theorizing takes place here. there are real personal conflicts. (we might
call these personality conflicts)   it might be said that people do not
always understand each other.

in the last round, Yoshi got upset with what she took to be  heavy handed
treatment by the moderator. the moderator plays a dual role on this list.
he is  both  the person who gives some direction to the discussion and
someone who is just another participant in the discussion. I don't think
that Yoshi understands Louis's style of argument. it's very New York. he is
a master of the comic mode of production.

it's not up to me to decide who goes and who stays. it's just talk anyway.
let's not forget how powerless we all are. I enjoy the manysided discussion.
sometimes I get annoyed or bored. I have sometimes criticized Yoshi for the
limits of her approach. Charles and I have had a go at each other lately. I
won't even mention the God people> we are all limited in our knowledge and
ability to change the world. I suspect that this will not be the best of
times for anyone.