Yoshie, Leona Freed and the Native Indian question

Craven, Jim jcraven at SPAMclark.edu
Mon Jan 8 09:32:10 MST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Fidler [mailto:rfidler at cyberus.ca]
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 8:03 AM
To: Marxism list
Subject: Re: Yoshie, Leona Freed and the Native Indian question

Lou Proyect wrote to me:

>>Look, comrade, you can't have it both ways. When somebody took the
extraordinary measure to sent email that Jim wrote to this list to powerful
figures in the Canadian Indian community without Jim's permission, I had to
ask
myself what in hell is going on. ...

He snitched. And you applauded his snitching.<<

He disseminated a public communication. I can understand Jim Craven's
embarrassment and anger. And I don't defend Alan Maki's judgment in doing
this.
But, as Lou pointed out, submissions to email lists are public
communications,
not private.

If any good has come out of this unfortunate episode, it may be that we all
know
now that what we write on this list is public information and may well
receive
further distribution. Perhaps if we all kept this rule in mind the level of
civility would rise.

Since Lou invokes Trotskyist traditions, I might add that once long ago,
before
emails appeared, SWP leader Joe Hansen told me his rule of thumb on these
matters was, Never put anything in writing that you aren't prepared to see
the
next day on the front page of the New York Times. Good advice.

Now that we've cleared the air on this matter, why don't we get back to the
substantive topic that was originally being discussed? For example, I'd like
hear more from Roland Chrisjohn and Jim Craven on the issues raised by that
NYT
piece on Leona Freed that Lou posted.

Richard Fidler

Response (Jim C)
You accuse me of "boasting" about "my" (it is a collective effort) work as a
prosecutor and our upcoming Tribunal on Genocide in Blackfoot country and
then say you want to hear more. You celebrate Maki sending materials to
forces about which he obviously knows nothing, to forces of repression about
which he knows nothing, with no regard to the very real and very violent
retributions that occur dailing against Indian activists (many by these
institutionalized official Indians) and then you want to hear more and have
no problem if those mattters are also sent to the very same comprador forces
that are destroying Indian Country.

Well, you may have a keyboard, a few leftist buzz words and may be a
self-declared "leftist", but your actions and posture are that of either a
very unsophisticated pseudo-leftist with little real world in experience in
real struggles with real lives on the line or you are another provocateur.
In any case, as long as organisms like you are on this list I will not be
talking in detail about what is going on in Indian Country; ther is simply
too much on the line and that is not "boasting" or melodrama.

As for my words against Maki, I am only sorry in the sense that after
looking at his werbsite, he is, in my opinion, a severely mentally-ill
person, a narcissist, a self-promoter (on his self-proclaimed "national
speaking tour"), a wrecker and now an "objective" or perhaps subjective
agent for forces of repression and corruption in Indian Country.

You didn't answer my previous questions: On what basis do you "know" who in
Indian Country "knows" me; on what basis do you "know" what and why they are
interested in what I write?

Jim Craven