Argentine opposition tries to repeal pension reform

Tue Jan 9 05:25:07 MST 2001

Hah, Xxxx is always finding ways to have me write to the lists!

En relación a Argentine opposition tries to repeal pension refo,
el 8 Jan 01, a las 16:49, Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx dijo:

> http://www.argentinenews.com/
>
> UPDATE 1-Argentine opposition tries to repeal pension reform
>
>  January 4, 2001  4:50pm
>
> Source: Reuters
> (Recasts, adds comments by Roggero)
>
> By Carlos A. DeJuana
>
> BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Argentine efforts to cut spending through a
> series of IMF-backed reforms to the country's pension system came under
> fire Thursday as legislators promised to overturn the presidential
> decree that put them in place.

Adequately gauged, these  "efforts" are, in fact, an expropriation of at least
8 bn dollars from the poorest ones in my country, the retired people. The
effort would be unnecessary if the IMF had not previously enforced on us a
private system of pension funds which has been the greatest reason for our
current bankrupcy. It would be very simple to put an end to this bankruptcy by
passing a law that puts an end to the private pension funds. But, of course,
they are the ones who rule.

> Humberto Roggero, head of the lower house's opposition Peronist Party
> bloc, and congressmen from the Frepaso wing of the ruling Alliance
> coalition, said they hoped to strike down a decree signed by President
> Fernando de la Rua last week. Among other changes, the decree cuts
> government contributions to pensions and lifts the age of retirement for
> women to 65 from 60.

The important thing here is that there is a new rift within the Alianza,
nothing else. Roggero has been pushed away from the last workers' demonstration
when he attempted to display his "solidarity". The report is right in
commenting that

>  The Frepaso's opposition to the pension reforms is the latest sign that
> De la Rua's Alliance, which also includes his centrist Radical Party, is
> having trouble  staying together.

But it remains to be seen if the glue provided by the State Budget will not
keep them together anyway...

> The decree was part of a battery of economic reforms De la Rua unveiled
> last week in hopes of reining in a gaping fiscal deficit and bringing
> Latin America's  third-largest economy out of a 30-month slump.

Untrue. De la Rúa simply did what the IMF commanded. His only hopes were to
please the master.

> De la Rua circumvented a long congressional debate on the reforms by
> decreeing them, but now he must fight to keep them alive.

These decrees ("de necesidad y urgencia") are the most blatant demonstration
that our "democracy" stops at the doors of the IMF. Menem, and now De la Rúa,
made extensive usage of them. Any measure that proved unsavory to the mass of
the voters was passed through a decree. But, what can we be astonished at in a
country where _a Constitution_ has been abolished by decree (the 1949
constitution, in 1955)?

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar