Forwarded from Jurriaan (swearing)

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Tue Jan 9 15:26:12 MST 2001

> >Well I could spice this up, and so forth, but I will leave it just like that.
>
> >Jurriaan
>
> >Louis Proyect
> >Marxism mailing list: http://www.marxmail.org

Thanks, Jurrian, for your historical analysis of swearing as it relates to
Marxist-Leninist rhetoric.

Here is some more info on swearing in Anglo-Saxon tradition.

amazon.com

***Swearing : A Social History of Foul Language, Oaths and Profanity in English
by Geoffrey Hughes

Editorial Reviews

Book Description

Swearing in the English language has a long history that encompasses a rich
variety of modes, including heroic oaths, sacred undertakings, profane and
blasphemous curses, taboo insults charged with sexual and excremental
"four-letter" words, competitive foul language, and racist "hate speech." Tracing
the history of this intriguing cultural phenomenon from its Anglo-Saxon
traditions and those of the Middle Ages, through Shakespeare, the Enlightenment,
and the Victorian Era to the Lady Chatterley's Lover  trial and various current
trends, Geoffrey Hughes explores a fascinating, little-discussed, yet
irrepressible part of our linguistic heritage. This edition contains a new
Postscript  updating various contemporary developments, such as the growth of
political correctness.

Synopsis

Swearing in the English language encompasses a rich variety of modes. Tracing the
history of this intriguing cultural phenomenon from its Anglo-Saxon traditions
through the Middle Ages, the Enlightenment, and the Victorian Era, Geoffrey

--

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx
PhD Student

Shop Safely Online Without a Credit Card
http://www.rocketcash.com