Lunatics Liberation Front

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Fri Jan 12 14:22:42 MST 2001

Macdonald Stainsby wrote:

> having both several friends and family members who have been "troubled" and seeing
> what happens when people who have mental troubles get subjected to "help" from the
> capitalist state, I found this highly worth a visit. The "do's and don'ts" were high
> on my list of things that I had heard (specifically the voices- if you tell someone
> you are interested in these voices and want to know what they say, watch the sigh of
> relief. Word of advice to people: if you have trouble and feel you need help from a
> "professional" mental care worker, DO NOT tell them about the voices. Once you do
> that, you might as well say good-bye to the outside world.

You can't make this generalization. I have a number of friends who
hear voices, who talk about them quite openly both in support groups
and to their psychiatrists & therapists and none of them are locked up.

In fact once I and another member of our support group spent
a whole evening trying to help a young man who suffered from
schizophrenia and who had been kicked out of his father's home
for losing his job try to convince someone to take him in for
the night. Voices weren't sufficient. He had to claim to be
urgently suicidal.

There are a huge number of very bad psyhiatrists and therapists
-- both in private practice and working for public agencies. But
generic dismissals of them are not helpful. And anyone who hears
voices is not going to get much help unless she/he informs a
psychiatrist of this fact. What my one friend, diagnosed as
suffering from depression and schizoid affective disorder
(psychotic symptoms -- voices -- but not suffering from
schizophrenia), needs is not protection from his psychiatrist
but enough money to live on. And better work than the shitty
job he has at the local Occupational Development Center
(a bunch of creeps).

Carrol