Turkish Children Arrested in Internet Cafes

Juan Fajardo fajardos at SPAMix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 12 23:21:21 MST 2001

Tuesday January 9 4:38 AM ET
Turkish Children Arrested in Internet Cafes

ANKARA (Reuters) - Around 130 Turkish children were briefly
detained by police in the central Anatolian town of Kirikkale
for hanging out in Internet cafes that officials feared could
corrupt them, newspapers reported Tuesday.

``Checks were made into complaints that Internet cafes were
full of cigarette smoke and that children could look at pornographic
materials in addition to playing backgammon,'' Milliyet newspaper
quoted Kirikkale Police Chief Hayrettin Gok as saying.

``This is your education; stay at home and do your homework,''
Gok told the children.

``We want you to become people who do some good for the state;
we want to see you in nice places, not bad ones.''

He warned that the children would be rounded up again if
they returned to the Internet cafes or games arcades.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010109/wr/turkey_dc_1.html