on David Landes

Sat Jan 13 11:47:51 MST 2001

I recently considered using a book by David Landes for a course I teach. I
could not use the book because I would have had to critique each page. it
would have been useful in a course on eurocentrism.

this kind of culturalist argument is usually dealt with in social science
texts books by presenting it as an alternative to world system theory. in
these books it is just called "modernization theory."

the New York Times is the true market place of ideas. one week it's P. B.
the next it's David Landes.