Subject: Neo-Weberianism

Sat Jan 13 15:23:29 MST 2001

Is it not strange how we still track from one pole of the idealism versus
materialism dialectic.  Lee Kuan Yeuw has a vulgar materialist theory about
countries which are poor in natural resources- Singapore, Japan, etc versus
countries like Australia which are rich in natural resources.  Being rich
makes you lazy according to Lee.

Neo-Weberianism is just the opposite of this.

I wonder though how they explain phenomena like the Celtic
Tiger.  Ireland's backwardness was often accounted for by the culture of
the Irish.

regards

Gary