Letter to WBAI

Marta Russell ap888 at SPAMlafn.org
Wed Jan 17 15:53:29 MST 2001

WBAI supporters,

Even though I live in Los Angeles, I have a I have a particular
fondness for WBAI.    Doug Henwood, for instance, has had me on WBAI
to discuss disability matters on his show.  KPFK in Los
Angeles has ghettoized discussion about disability into one half
hour show "Access Unlimited."  KPFK hosts like Cooper, etc. do
NOT include disability activism as part of their agenda as to
what is important to discuss.  Hence those who do not listen to
the half
hour disability segment once a week do not get introduced to the
politics of disablement. Henwood, by contrast, has offered me a
podium to discuss
disability issues within the larger, nonsegregated, listening
audience of WBAI.  How refreshing!

Meanwhile, this bit below caught a friend's attention and he sent
it to me.  It mentions a businessman, Ken Ford, who is on the
board at Pacifica who fought the ADA and disability access.

I have suggested to others active in the disability community
that we contact Pacifica and let them know that we do not want
this Ken Ford on their board and that we support the former WBAI
staff who were fired and the maintenance of true community radio,
not the national Pacifica Board brand of it.

In solidarity,
Marta Russell
author, Los Angeles, CA
http://disweb.org/
Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract
http://www.commoncouragepress.com/russell_ramps.html