Hartley on American Cultural Studies

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at SPAMoregon.uoregon.edu
Thu Jan 18 03:39:30 MST 2001

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Louis Proyect wrote:

> Another sign of post-Marxist flirtation with Leninism is the book "Empire"
> co-authored by Antonio Negri and Michael Hardt, the Duke professor who was
> dissertation adviser to our old friend Jon Beasley-Murray from the Spoons
> Collective.

Hardt gave a talk re the book at the Marxism 2000 shindig; I remember
being distinctly underwhelmed. Basically, the claim is power is
deterritorialized, invisible, all-embracing, etc. I heroically swallowed
the urge to tell him to notify Rolf Breuer (bourgie-in-chief of Deutsche
Bank, who gave an interview worthy of Count Dracula in a recent Der
Spiegel about the EU's predatory future) of this important news. But I
haven't read the book yet, so I'll just, um, you know, stow away the gluon
gun till later.

-- Dennis