Long live Tommy Sheridan!

mmcdon mmcdon at SPAMiol.ie
Thu Jan 18 18:28:14 MST 2001


> Brian Cahill:
> >particularly interested. I am interested, though, in your neo-Stalinist
> >defense of Cuban "proletarian democracy". Feel free to defend it. You
might
> >have to use more than a few sneering one liners, however.
>
> I defer to Jose Perez on this. His posts can be found in the archives. My
> posts mostly have to do with the question of whether there is capitalism
in
> Cuba. Since you are not a "state capitalist", we obviously have nothing
to
> debate.

Fair enough. I'll go have a look at Jose's posts when I have some time.

> On the question of being a "neo-Stalinist", my actions speak > louder
> than words. This mailing list is a cross-section of Marxist opinion
> virtually unheard of on the Internet. If I was a "neo-Stalinist", I'd be
> excluding ideas I disagree with. In fact, I love battling with people as
> you well know, not suppressing them.

Try harder. I used the term "neo-Stalinist" as a characterisation of your
defense of "proletarian democracy" in Cuba, not as a general
characterisation of your political method. It is possible that you misread
my point, but I suspect that the problem is once again evasion rather than
mere reading comprehension difficulties.

> >The CWI founded the SSP.The CWI built the SSP. For almost the entire
span
> >of its existence, CWI members formed the leadership of the SSP. Even
after
> >the events of the last few days, CWI members continue to play leading
roles
> >in the SSP from full time organisers to parliamentary candidates.
>
> And then it slipped from your fingers. Poor thing.

Again you return to the snide one liners instead of defending your
ludicrous claim that the CWI operates as an entrist group in the SSP. Can
we take it that you have abandoned that position or is there some other
reason for your reluctance to defend it?

> >SSP members. I can only conclude that you know very little about the SSP
or
> >the CWI, but that it doesn't stop you from pontificating about either.
>
> The CWI is trying to launch a Trotskyist International, isn't it?

The CWI is trying to build an international revolutionary socialist
movement.

> That's
> all I need to know.

Willfull ignorance isn't pretty.

> In reality, there will come a time when a revolutionary
> international will exist. It will be a horizontally organized, networked,
> democratic movement built on the core of independent Marxist parties like
> the SSP seems to be aspiring to.

Again your ignorance of the SSP is showing. It is not an "independent
Marxist" party, nor does it aspire to be one. It is a broad left formation
and it doesn't pretend to be anything else.

> You really need to change your methods of
> functioning. They lead to nothing but heartache and isolation.

That may well have been your experience in the (US)SWP. However, our
methods are not their methods and my experiences have not been yours. The
CWI has lead succesful mass campaigns involving millions of people from the
anti-Poll Tax movement in Britain to the campaigns against Rates in
Ireland. We have elected public representatives and trade union leaders
amongst our numbers. Our "methods of functioning" have included founding
the SSP and the Socialist Alliances in England. But enough of the advert.

> >So why take such enormous care to distance Lenin from "Leninism"?
>
> I'm glad you put "Leninism" in scare quotes. That shows you are learning.

Are you always this evasive? Answer the question.

Is mise le meas,
Brian Cahill





More information about the Marxism mailing list