CrashList poll

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Mon Jan 22 09:00:40 MST 2001

Mark Jones wrote:

>Dear Friend
>
>I wonder if you would be kind enough to do the following: in one paragraph
of not
>more than 200 words, set out your main political priorities.

My main priorities:

1. completing work on "Marxism and the American Indian", the goal of which
is to extirpate all traces of social Darwinism from our movement.

2. continue with research around the Dobb-Sweezy debate (a much more
descriptive phrase, since Brenner has little of substance to add to what
Dobb wrote in "Studies in the Development of Capitalism" after WWII). My
main focus will be on reviewing new scholarly material that challenges the
notion that large-scale farming based on wage labor in Great Britain was
more productive than smaller, peasant owned plots in France, for example.
Also, intend to look carefully at the relationship between England and
Ireland between the 1500 and Cromwell's revolution to try to ascertain the
importance of colonialism to England's "take off". Blaut focused mostly on
the New World, but I have a strong suspicion that the role of Ireland is
just as important.

3. continue to make the Marxism list a pole of attraction for critical and
independent Marxist thought worldwide. By the end of 2002, I'd like to see
a subscription base of 500. At the end of 2010, a 1000.

Louis Proyect