Animal Rights Terrorism - the new Fascism?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Tue Jan 23 12:11:45 MST 2001

Paddy:
>is taken as sufficient for considerable action to be taken.  In terms of
>such things as food additives, agricultural pesticides etc. regulatory
>action is taken when there is toxicological evidence to suggest the
>POSSIBILITY of harm - generally based on intakes by the test animals 100 (or
>even higher often 100 x 100) times intakes possible by humans.

This contradicts everything we know about regulatory bodies in the
capitalist state. The record reveals in fact that such bodies act in
collusion with industry because the men who appoint other men to these
bodies are stooges of the capitalist class.

Here's but one example:

Los Angeles Times, May 3, 2000, Wednesday, Ventura County Edition

AGRICULTURE: STUDY BY ENVIRONMENTAL ORGANIZATION RATES COUNTY FARMERS SIXTH
STATEWIDE IN APPLICATION OF MOST TOXIC SUBSTANCES, AND SAYS USAGE HAS BEEN
RISING.

KATIE COOPER, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES

Ventura County farmers rank sixth among California growers using the most
toxic of pesticides, and the county has the 10th-highest rate of overall
pesticide use statewide, an environmental watchdog group reported Tuesday.

The study by Californians for Pesticide Reform ranks the state's 58
counties according to the amount of pesticides used on farmland and in
nonagricultural applications.

>From 1991 to 1998, local growers increased their use of suspected
carcinogenic and toxic pesticides by nearly one-third, from 1.9 million
pounds a year to a high of 2.9 million in 1998, the report found.

The suspected carcinogens are linked to a variety of cancers, including
childhood leukemia, breast cancer and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, while toxic
pesticides are associated with a number of health problems, including
infertility and birth defects, according to the study by the coalition of
public interest organizations.

Over the same period, overall pesticide use jumped to 6.6 million pounds in
1998 from 4.9 million pounds in 1991.

In the report to be released today, Californians for Pesticide Reform
chastised the agricultural industry and GOVERNMENT REGULATORS for using
more pesticides at a time of increasing awareness of the risks they pose to
the environment and the public's health.

"Pesticide use trends show that California is hooked on toxic pesticides,"
said Susan Kegley, lead author of the report. "Use of the most toxic
pesticides, including carcinogens, remains alarmingly high, indicating the
state is on the wrong track."

Louis Proyect