On behalf of the people (some divergence between Patrick and

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Wed Jan 24 09:11:57 MST 2001

Patrick Bond wrote:

> >This is only the way, don't you see, Cde Mark J, for us to best
> >reform the neoliberal imperialist system (oooh, yes!!), and,
> >especially, to change the minds of the Bush administration and IMF,
> >so they'll be nice to us. That way, you see, we can win the space to
> >establish rural SMMEs through microcredit (targeted to women), ensure
> >that modern performance management systems are in place to improve
> >productivity at workplaces and at what's left of the public sector
> >(after we outsource for efficiencies' sake).

sarcasm or real comments? I try to share your optimism, Pat, but this local/ micro-
credit
thing simply failed to work in other parts of the world.We know that microcredit
institutions
are part of  World Bank's empowerment & modernization projects in the third world.
They are a
new phase of neo-structural adjustment programs with a slight twist--local development
in
place of state guided development, but their source is the same: IMF and World Bank.
The
mentality is to introduce capitalism to Africa or to reform it in case it fails.  I
don't
know the case with Africa. Microcredit may have generated some productive results in
the
sense of helping the poor, especially women. In India, the G. bank turned out to be a
privileged institution in the hands of local elites profiting from women. This being
the
case,  I wish to be mistaken with respect to AFrica.

I know you are busy so am I . Just few comments of concern.

bye

Mine

.

--