Palestine: LAW report: Violating the Right to Education (fwd)

JOHN M COX coxj at SPAMemail.unc.edu
Wed Jan 24 13:57:16 MST 2001

From: "Lawsociety" <law at lawsociety.org>

 Violating the Right to Education

 Palestinian schoolchildren, teachers and others involved in the education
system have been subject to Israeli violence and brutal control tactics
Palestinian schools have been attacked and turned into army bases; Israeli
checkpoints and concrete blocks have been placed to impede travel on roads
leading to schools and Palestinian pupils and teachers have been shot at,
killed, wounded or arrested on their way to school by the Israeli army.

This LAW Society report deals with Israel’s violation of the right to
education as a method of collective punishment against Palestinians in the
Occupied Territories.

Killing schoolchildren and teachers:

>From 29 September to 31 December 2000, fifty-six Palestinian schoolchildren
were killed and 1,886 wounded, either lightly or resulting in permanent
disability.

 14 year-old Moayad Jawareesh from Ayida refugee camp was in the 9th grade
at Beit Jala School when he was killed. His father told LAW, “My son died on
his way back from school on 16 October 2000, when a rubber-coated steel
bullet hit him in the head. He was still carrying his schoolbag when he
died. He was a bright child; he wanted to be a doctor.”

 17 year-old Waleed Al Badan of Taqou’a High School died at school on 30
November 2000 after an Israeli soldier shot him in the heart. Similarly, 16
year-old Mohammad Al Sha’ir, from the same school, was shot and killed on 2
November 2000 during an attack on the school by Israeli soldiers.

 In a separate incident, on 12 November 2000 Israeli settlers shot and
wounded Amer Al Badan, a tenth grader at Taqou’a High School, in the left
leg. The school principal took him to hospital in his own car as Israeli
closures were preventing ambulances from reaching Palestinian villages.

 A rubber-coated steel bullet hit Issa Sarayra, a teacher at Taqou’a High
School, when an Israeli army unit assaulted the school on 2 November 2000.
Israeli soldiers had already broken into the school on 29 October, searching
its classrooms and destroying the door leading to the sports hall.

 Arrests of pupils and teachers

Israeli forces have arrested eight teachers and 33 schoolchildren since
September 29, 2000. Saleem Zauol, 14 and Mansur Zauol, 15, were arrested on
25 October 2000; 16 year-old Mohammad Al Lauzi of Al Ram High School was
arrested on 28 October, and 16 year-old Rushdi Al Batmi of Al Khader High
School was arrested the following day. 16 year-old Tarek Amera and 12th
grader Ghasan Shusha from Husan High School in Bethlehem were arrested on 11
November 2000.

 Bayamin Abdul Jaleel from Nablus who taught at Beit Fureek was arrested on
October 13, 2000. Abdul Aziz Shinar, Slaiman Fatayir and Wasfi Mohammad,
three teachers from Nablus were arrested on October 19, 2000. Nidal Al
Asmar, a teacher from Kabatia, was arrested at a checkpoint on November 11,
2000. Nail Daka, 23, a teacher in Jerusalem, was arrested at Bethlehem
checkpoint on December 5, 2000, as was Mahmoud Sharif, another 23 year-old
teacher in Jerusalem.

 Chased by bullets:

The Israeli army has prevented teachers from reaching their schools. On some
days, up to ninety percent of the 32,051 Palestinian teachers have been
prevented from reaching their schools, offices or kindergartens.

Amjad Abu Khiran from Al Arub refugee camp, an academic advisor in
Jerusalem, was forced to wait at the Bethlehem-Jerusalem military checkpoint
from 8am - 5pm; he was only released after signing a paper stating that he
would never try to enter Jerusalem again.

Teachers and students have sometimes had to travel to their schools under a
shower of bullets fired from nearby Israeli outposts. Israel has placed
concrete blocks and military barriers at entrances leading to Palestinian
towns and villages, preventing Palestinians from arriving at their schools
or universities. For instance, in the areas of Husan, Nahalin, Bateer and
Wadi Foakin, concrete blocks were placed on the roads, forcing teachers to
risk their lives by walking around them.

Hebron:

The closure over the Palestinian territories has crippled the education
system, especially in areas under Israeli control. The curfew imposed on the
occupied part of Hebron deprived 13,000 students of their right to education
for 84 consecutive days. 28 schools in Hebron closed due to Israeli closure
and curfew; 460 teachers could not get to their schools (eg Al Zatari Boys’
School and Al Nahda School). Ten other schools in the southern part of
Hebron, such as Al-Zeef, Um Al Safa and Al Ka’abni, had to close for the
same reasons. The schools near ‘flashpoints’ have been the worst hit, since
they are subjected to frequent attack by Israeli soldiers and settlers.

 When Hebron’s curfew was lifted, students on their way to school were often
met with a hail of bullets, especially on 4 November 2000.

Turning schools into military bases:

The Israeli authorities have also turned some schools into army bases, for
example the Usama Munkith (584 students), Al Ma’arif (871 students), Jawhar
Girls’ (380 students) and Al Ukhwa schools in Hebron

Nadia Al Sharif, principal of Usama Munlith School, told LAW Society, “On
Thursday, 12 October 2000, the school caretaker found the door broken. I was
informed that Israeli soldiers had placed tanks in the schoolyard,
barricades and concrete blocks around the school grounds and machineguns in
the windows. On October 16, I went to see for myself; the school was
occupied and an Israeli flag had been hoisted on the roof.”

Faris Al Hashlamoon, head teacher of Al Ma’arif Primary School, told LAW,
“Israeli soldiers opened fire at our children on 14 October 2000. The school
was turned into military base with machineguns and concrete barricades.”

The Palestinian Ministry of Education had to evacuate several schools in
order to protect the children from indiscriminate Israeli bombing. Both Deir
Al Balah Primary School and Khadija Bint Khowailed Girls’ School were hit
during the first days of the Intifada.

Israeli military orders to close Palestinian schools:

In Al Khader, four schools (Al Khader Boys’ High; Sa’eed Al As Primary; Al
Khader Girls’ High and Al Khader Girls’ Primary, which between them have
2,500 pupils) were closed by Israeli military order for the month of October
2000.

Flashpoints:

Schools near flashpoints - 173 in the West Bank and 23 in the Gaza Strip -
were the worst hit. They were subjected to several kinds of assault,
including bombing by the Israeli army and shooting by settlers.

Bombing Palestinian schools:

The Palestinian Ministry of Education announced on 18 November 2000 that the
Israeli army had bombed the following Nablus schools:

·        Silat Al Thahir Boys’ High School

·        Fadwa Tukan High School

·        Mazuz Al Masri Girls’ Primary School

·        Basam Al Shak’a Boys’ School

·        Beit Wazan Primary Girls’ School.

Other schools damaged by Israeli bombing include:

·        Tulkarem Vocational School

·        Ajnadin Boys’ Primary School

·        Ihsan Samara High School

·        Al Fadiliya Boys’ High School

·        Taha Hussein Primary School

·        Al Mizra’a Primary School, in Deir Al Balah in Gaza. A Lau missile
hit this school on October 24, 2000.

·        Chile and Wadee’ Al D’mas Schools in Beit Jala were destroyed by
Israeli bombs

The following schools had Israeli gunships flying overhead and were besieged
by Israeli tanks:

·        Al Khader Boys’ School

·        Saeed Al A’s Primary Boys’ School

·        Al Khader Primary Girls’ School

·        Taqu’a High School

·        Taqu’a Primary School (all five schools are in Bethlehem district)

 According to LAW’s documentation, Israeli forces have bombed 23 schools in
the Palestinian territories.

Ministry of Education declares emergency:

The Palestinian Ministry of Education issued a press release on 14 November
2000, strongly condemning Israeli violations of the right to education
(including attacks on schools, teachers and schoolchildren) and demanding
international protection for Palestinian children. The press release
reiterated the Palestinians’ right to freedom and education. The Ministry
decided to continue education services despite the difficulties. It formed
emergency committees in each district and in every school to assist in this
task.

International law:

The Israeli occupation has violated all international laws and conventions
dealing with human rights including the protection of children and of
protected civilians in time of war. Article 26 of the Universal Declaration
of Human Rights stipulates, “Everyone has the right to education.”

LAW – The Palestinian Society for the Protection of Human Rights and the
Environment is a non-governmental organisation dedicated to preserving human
rights through legal advocacy.LAW is affiliate to the International
Commission of Jurists (ICJ), Fédération Internationale des Ligues de Droits
de l’Homme (FIDH), World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) and Member of
the Euro- Mediterranean Human Rights Network.

Title:

> [...]

·        Beit Wazan Primary Girls’ School.

Other schools damaged by Israeli bombing include:

·        Tulkarem Vocational School

·        Ajnadin Boys’ Primary School

·        Ihsan Samara High School

·        Al Fadiliya Boys’ High School

·        Taha Hussein Primary School

·        Al Mizra’a Primary School, in Deir Al Balah in Gaza. A Lau missile hit
this school on October 24, 2000.

·        Chile and Wadee’ Al D’mas Schools in Beit Jala were destroyed by
Israeli bombs

The following schools had Israeli gunships flying overhead and were besieged by
Israeli tanks:

·        Al Khader Boys’ School

·        Saeed Al A’s Primary Boys’ School

·        Al Khader Primary Girls’ School

·        Taqu’a High School

·        Taqu’a Primary School (all five schools are in Bethlehem district)

 According to LAW’s documentation, Israeli forces have bombed 23 schools in the
Palestinian territories.