On behalf of the people

Mark Jones jones.mark at SPAMbtconnect.com
Thu Jan 25 08:28:42 MST 2001

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky
> Sent: 25 January 2001 10:52
> To: marxism at lists.panix.com
> Subject: RE: On behalf of the people
>

> En relacisn a RE: On behalf of the people,
> el 24 Jan 01, a las 17:26, Dennis R Redmond dijo:
>
> > decommodifying basic services, building up working-class
> > organizations, practicing transnational solidarity and fighting to
> > recapture the much-underestimated power of the nation-state is the essence
> > of Left politics in the periphery these days.
>
> In fact, I find it hard to understand why Mark does not agree with the above.
> Unless one feels that there is no place for humans to fight against the central
> tendencies of the model (even if these tendencies happened to be as definitive
> as Mark seems to believe), struggles in the defensive front that Dennis
> describes on the above are essential for the build up of our movement in the
> periphery. In a sense, this is exactly why Yugoslavia was subject to bombing
> and destruction for more than two months.
>
> Why can't Mark understand in Africa the things he understood in Yugoslavia, is
> a mystery to me.

If Nato decided it's 'out-of-area' interests included southern Africa and it
declared war on the ANC on the grounds that Mbeki etc were corrupt, denied human
rights etc (which it plausibly could do, since the west has been so busy
successfully corrupting the ANC/SACP for so long now) then I would want to
solidarise with Mbeki (who is today conferring with Bill gates etc at Davos) just as
I did with Milosevic. But surely "the essence> > of Left politics in the periphery
these days" must be more than just the things Dennis lists.

Mark