Fwd (GLW): Did the East Timor intervention kill off `Vietnam syndrome'?

Mon Jan 29 02:29:42 MST 2001

> From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>
> This article obfuscates the real question for the Australian left, which
> is not whether the people will line up behind their government, but
> whether the DSP can be relied upon to spearhead an antiwar movement when
> it is so compromised on the question of principle. Marxists are opposed
> in principle to imperialist interventions, especially those organized by
> their own ruling class. If the DSP proves incapable of correcting itself
> on this disastrous policy, then one can only hope that revolutionary
> forces in Australia can step into the breach when the circumstances
> dictate. I am afraid that the understandable desire for this small group
> to become larger has left it vulnerable to social patriotism of the kind
> that made the Second International worthless in 1914.

One more time, then.

The DSP acted to assist the East Timorese national liberation struggle
achieve its tactical aim of removing the Indonesian military and its death
squads from East Timor.

The struggle in East Timor continues.  The DSP is continuing to actively
support the national liberation struggle.

End of story.

All this stuff about social patriotism and so on is just confusion.

Alan Bradley
alanb at elf.brisnet.org.au