For Peter Drucker (marxism-digest V1 #3156)

Paul Flewers hatchet.job at SPAMvirgin.net
Tue Jan 30 04:24:39 MST 2001

To add a small point to Mine and Lou, the elder Peter Drucker was an exiled
Austrian sociologist who came to Britain in the late 1930s, and then went on to
the USA. In 1939 he had published in Britain The End of Economic Man, a book
which saw Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union as identical totalitarian
collectivist societies, and considered that the whole world was heading in a
collectivist direction, with people relating to each other in a directly
political, rather than economic, manner (hence the title). This sort of idea was
pretty common several years before James Burnham wrote his Managerial
Revolution. I've always thought that Burnham in all his political guises was a
pretty thin thinker, I wouldn't be surprised if he 'borrowed' many of his ideas
from others.   Paul F