Forwarded from Anthony #4 (Electoral crisis)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Wed Jan 31 06:55:01 MST 2001

Hi Lou:

Below are two links to New York Times articles that back up my views on the
electoral crisis which only so recently blew over - or maybe is not really
over - in the USA.

My point was that it appeared the bourgeoisie were having a serious
internal fight over money - and that the two probably most important
treasure chests they differeed over were Alaska oil and the arms budget.

It turns out to have been much mroe complicated than I thought - as there
are other pieces tot he puzzle (like the energy crisis in California) which
were not so obvious at the time.

5.6 Trillion dollar budget surplus!!!

Wow, that's a lot of pork for the vultures to fight over.

I hear Al Gore gets to teach at some Universities. Nice guy, that Al.

 Smog and Mirrors

January 31, 2001 RECKONINGS By PAUL KRUGMAN

Despite assertions from the energy industry that environmental regulations
are not a factor in California´s power problem, the Bush
administration has continued to push the idea that allowing more smog is
the way o ut of the crisis. What exactly is going on here?

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/31/opinion/31KRUG.html?ex=981943692&ei=1&en=b
00330e6e170e40d

Surplus Estimate Hits $5.6 Trillion

January 31, 2001

By RICHARD W. STEVENSON

Even as projections of the federal budget surplus were revised upward once
again, the Bush administration squared off with Democrats over whether the
government can afford everything the new president promised during the
campaign.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/31/politics/31BUDG.html?ex=981942890&ei=1&en=
59030ea75d95e9f7

Louis Proyect